Chinese government announces on Saturday that the death toll in the deadly coronavirus outbreak has risen to 41.
China has stepped up its response to a new coronavirus outbreak that has killed 41 people and infected at least 1,287 as of Saturday, placing restrictions on 13 cities, including 12 in Hubei Province – the centre of the outbreak.
At least 36 million people are living in the affected cities, some of which have suspended public transport amid fears that the transmission rate will accelerate as hundreds of millions of Chinese travel for the Lunar New Year.
Shanghai Disneyland shut down, hospitals pleaded
for help, France reported three cases and the
youngest victim so far was identified as a
36-year-old man in central China.
Saturday, January 25
Australia’s first coronavirus case confirmed in Victoria
Australian authorities on Saturday confirmed its first case of a new virus as thousands of people worldwide are treated for the deadly infection.
In a news conference in Melbourne, Victoria’s state Health Minister Jenny Mikakos said a Chinese man aged in his 50s who last week returned from China had contracted the newly identified coronavirus.
China’s city of Haikou to start centralised observation for all tourists from Hubei
The Chinese government announced on Saturday that the southern city of Haikou will begin a 14-day centralised medical observation for all tourists from Hubei province, the centre of the deadly coronavirus outbreak.
The government said that the order will start at noon, local time, on Saturday, January 25.
Earlier on Saturday, Beijing has announced that the death toll from the outbreak has reached 41, with confirmed cases increasing to 1,287.
How to get Latest LIVE Updates on wuhan Corona virus outbreak?
Wishing you a happy new year; special wishes to everyone In Wuhan and Hubei to be safe and strong despite the distressing situation there.
What we know so far
- The virus: Dozens of people are dead in China and more than 900 infected as the Wuhan coronavirus continues to spread throughout Asia and across the world.
- Tens of millions under lockdown: At least 11 cities in China’s central Hubei province are facing travel restrictions, including Wuhan itself.
- Cities cancel Lunar New Year celebrations: Authorities in Beijing and other cities have canceled some or all large-scale Lunar New Year celebrations, a rare, drastic step to reign in spread of the virus.
- Tourist attractions, Disneyland and McDonalds to shut: Among other public venues, a section of the Great Wall of China in Beijing, Shanghai Disney Resort and McDonalds outlets in five cities will close.